It's been talked about before, a proposed new formula for the sport of competitive surfing that brings together the best of the best. A super league of the top 16 invited surfers from around the globe competing for larger prize money, and offering spectators a fierce viewing spectacle.
We know everyone probably has their own opinion on the matter, so we've showcased what we've found below and left it open for you to comment on.
"I have some important information for you all regarding a proposed NEW tour that has been presented by Kelly Slater. Please read the following from xxxxxx.
A meeting has been held by Terry Hardy (Kelly Slater’s manager) presenting a concept for a new professional surfing tour.
- 9 international events for 16, invited surfers only (we understand only male surfers)
- Proposed to commence in May, 2010 and run through to September 2010
- The new tour is looking to get endemic sponsors to sponsor each event.
- ESPN will own the media rights and production
Some key points that are't known at this stage include...
1. The Specific event locations.
2. Who the surfers will be and how they will be selected
6. ASP involvement/sanctioning
7. Whether the series winner will lay claim to being a “World Champion”
As more information comes to hand, we'll have a better perspective of what this means for all of our tours. For now, we remain focused on core ASP activities and continue to service our surfers, events and tours."